Joining a police academy is a milestone on the path to becoming a police officer. The Nevada police academy requirements are intended to set a high standard for potential officers. Below are all the requirements and disqualifying factors. Be aware that there is a lot of competition for police jobs so going above the minimum requirements is advised. Nevada police academy requirements consist of, in part, the following:
Nevada police academy age requirements state that applicants must be a minimum of 21 years of age. Applicants may complete an application and proceed in the hiring process at 20 years of age if they will be 21 by the starting date of the next academy class.
Residency and Citizenship Requirement
Applicants must be a resident of Nevada and possess a valid Nevada driver’s license upon appointment as a State Police Cadet. Applicants must be a United States citizen at the time of initial application.
Nevada Police Academy requirements for education state that the applicants must possess a high school diploma or General Equivalency Degree (GED) time of application. Correspondence or mail-order high school diplomas are not accepted.
Applicant will be required to take a written/oral examination, psychological test, as well as a polygraph examination.
Automatic Disqualification Factors
Applicants are advised that the Nevada State Police will automatically disqualify any applicant who does not meet the general requirements as detailed below. In addition, the following information is provided regarding our criteria for automatic disqualification:
- Falsification, omission, or misrepresentation of any information during the completion of the Polygraph Screening Booklet, the Polygraph Examination, the Formal Application for Employment, and any other documents/processes associated with the Cadet Selection Procedures.
- Substance abuse/use within a prescribed time frame and/or that is beyond what is considered experimental by the Nebraska State Police.
- Criminal arrests/behavior which would not reflect well on the Nevada State Police, including:
- Not convicted or has been pardoned of a crime punishable by imprisonment in a penitentiary for a term of one year or more, including convictions of Class 1 Misdemeanors
- Not been convicted of driving while intoxicated or under the influence in the two years immediately preceding admission
- Has not received a punitive discharge from the United States Armed Forces
- Has not been denied certification status, had certification revoked or currently suspended in this state or another jurisdiction
- Not been convicted of any crime involving the threat or actual use of physical violence that would constitute a Class I misdemeanor in this state.
- Not been convicted of any crime involving the threat of or actual sexual assault or abuse.
- Not convicted of any crime of physical violence or sexual abuse against a child or children.
- Not convicted of a crime of domestic violence as defined in the United States Code, 18 USC 922(g)(9), that would disqualify from possessing a firearm.
- Not subject to an order of protection that would disqualify from possessing a firearm under the provisions of United States Code, USC 922(g)(8)
- Does not have a past indicative of incompetence, or neglect of duty.
- Does not have a past indicative of physical, mental or emotional incapacity.
- Has not been adjudged or convicted of criminal violations with such frequency so as to indicate disrespect for the law and rights of others.
- Has not been adjudged or convicted of traffic violations with such frequency so as to indicate disrespect for traffic laws and disregard for the safety of others within the past three years.
- Does not have a pattern of substance abuse.
- Has not used marijuana for any purpose in the two years preceding application
- Not used illegal drugs or narcotics other than marijuana in the five years preceding application
The core purpose of the Nevada State Police is to seek justice, preserve peace, and improve the quality of life for all. As such, the Department has established the core values of Honor, Service, Integrity, Respect, Trust, Courage, and Duty, and is seeking applicants who possess these traits and conduct themselves accordingly. Certain issues within a person’s background have been identified which will result in automatic disqualification, including but not limited to: criminal conduct (actual arrest and/or admission of behavior whether or not arrested) and substance abuse.
A preliminary determination will be made by the Nevada State Police based upon information supplied; therefore, applicants must be forthright and honest in documenting their conduct. Be advised that this preliminary determination is not binding as it is made based upon information provided by the applicant only. Should an applicant continue in the selection process, the conduct will then be discussed and documented with a Nevada State Police Officer.
Applicants are advised that all information provided to the Nevada State Police is to contain no misrepresentation, falsification, omissions, or concealment of material fact and that, upon submission of any official document (on-line or otherwise), applicants swear or affirm that all information provided is true, complete, and correct to the best of their knowledge and belief. Applicants are further advised that all information provided is subject to later investigation.
Physical Readiness Test
Candidates who attain a passing score on the written examination will advance to the physical fitness ability testing that afternoon. The test consists of five events:
- One and one-half mile run: 20 minutes 20 seconds or less
- Minimum number of sit-ups: 13
- Minimum number of push-ups: 15
- Vertical jump: 12 inches
- 300 meter sprint: 89 seconds or less
The physical fitness standards at completion of academy are as follows:
- One and one-half mile run: 17 minutes 17 seconds or less
- Minimum number of sit-ups: 15
- minimum number of push-ups: 18
- Vertical jump: 14 inches
- 300 meter sprint: 77 seconds or less
The eligibility requirements are subject to change at any time.